Hey, I’m Josh 👋
I’m the co-founder of Chirr App, a Twitter marketing tool for teams.
Previously, I worked as a consultant helping software teams improve their user retention metrics. Before that, I was a freelance software engineer. And before that, a corrective exercise coach for people with severe back pain. It’s been a ride.
The focus of this blog changes over time. It depends on where I’m at in life and what I’m working on. I’ve distilled the practical lessons from each phase into the ‘useful guides’ section below.
What I’m up to now…
- At the moment, I’m learning how to tell better business stories. Less mechanical marketing copy and more human transformations.
- I’m in the process of developing a workshop for Chirr App that shows teams how to treat their company’s Twitter social presence as a team sport. Two workshops down so far, still making huge adjustments. You can sign up to the waitlist here.
- I’m also working with a small group that’s putting together a cultural sensitivity training program for people that move to Goa from larger cities.
- I’m advising 3 early-stage businesses (one makes delicious tonic, the other is an e-commerce store and the last one’s a workflow manager for restaurants) and I’m mentoring freelancers over at GrowthMentor.
Last updated May 15th 2021.
A collection of guides that cover everything I’ve learned about growing software products so far.
- User Retention Audit
- Customer discovery in the context of existing products
- Writing Design
- A high converting landing page
- SEO for web apps
- Writing copy for websites
Stuff I’ve published elsewhere
- Building 100 backlinks on the Katlinks blog
- A/B Testing The Words In Your Product on Usability Geek
- Webform design best practices in Bootcamp
- Tell me when to use it in the UX Collective
- A podcast interview I did about freelancing
- Everything else…
Other fun projects…
- May 2022 – How I’m getting my brain to focus again
- Feb 2022 – Using Twitter for business
- July 2021 – Growth Marketing mini-degree
- June 2021 – A guide to doing customer interviews
- Apr 2021 – Everything I know about user retention
- Feb 2021 – A 6-week group learning resolution
- Sep 2020 – 12 Weeks of Conversion Rate Optimization
- June 2019 – Building 21st Night’s learning software
- Nov 2016 – Behind the Scenes of the Beeminder Redesign
- May 2015 – Learning to Code at 27
- Dec 2014 – Barsoom- Launching a restaurant
- Nov 2014 – When pandas attack – releasing an album
- Jan 2014 – Building one business a month
- May 2013 – Learning how to file a patent
- Jan 2013 – An Open Discussion On Gender Crime
- Aug 2012 – Flipside – marketing for a small cafe
- July 2012 – How to Make 100 Friends in a Month
- Apr 2012 – How To Make A Handbag
- Dec 2011 – Helping Google
- Oct 2011 – Designing A Fashion Collection