If you’re just starting out, I recommend YouTube. This is one of those rare occasions where social media algorithms work in your favor. Watch one or two ramen videos, and your feed will be full of ramen recipes, brilliant ideas, and inspiration for things to cook.
- This Ramen School YouTube playlist by Adam Liaw is ground zero.
- Everything on the Way of Ramen YouTube channel.
- This french guy’s ramen addiction playlist (particularly the episode on making ramen oil)
- If you spend 10 minutes googling ramen recipes, you will inevitably bump into the Ramen lord’s book on ramen. This is the most comprehensive free resource anyone who wants to get into ramen could ask for.
Finding ingredients in India
I’m disappointed to say, at this stage, I’m still using Amazon to source most of my ingredients and equipment. I will post resources as I discover them here. These deliver across India.
- TWF has some great flour. The best one I’ve found for ramen is C-8615. they also have a special ramen blend, but you have to buy it in bulk. Personally, I preferred the C-8615.
- Urban Platter’s ingredients aren’t the best, but they are good. The oriental section of their website has mirin, cooking sake, dried shitake, miso, and a bunch of other stuff.
Exploring the scene
If you’re anything like me, then you know that half of the fun of getting into something new is being able to nerd out on all the trimmings. Here are the best digital trimmings I’ve found so far. Also plan to add some book summaries once I’ve read some decent ones. Reading Ivan Orkin at the moment.
Forums and Chat Rooms
People to follow
If you have recommendations that you think should be on this page, let me know on email@example.com or @scorchedgarlic .
I'm two weeks into my 30-day AI content challenge, and it's harder than I thought. Most people have dropped out at this point. My big takeaway so far is that while AI can produce content, the...
I went to Japan for the first time in my life. I put on a nice little roll of fat from the trip. The food, at every meal, was just incredible. I mean, even their 7-Elevens have great food. This is...