This is a collection of my favorite books, article, courses, podcasts, and videos about building and growing technology responsibly.
- Honest Marketer – a growing collection of practical how-to guides that teaches marketers to be honest in their campaigns.
- Deceptive designs – A collection of tricks used in websites that make you do things that you didn’t mean to. The purpose of this site is to spread awareness and to shame companies that use these practices.
- Foundations of Humane Technology – A self-paced online course that helps product teams create technology that treats attention and intention as sacred, protects well-being, and builds our collective capacity to address humanity’s most urgent challenges.
- Winning the Story Wars – This book did an excellent job of pointing out that so much wrong with the world is because of marketers. They are the frontline of this warped capitalist system commodifying our world. At the same time, Jonah also points out that marketers are in the best position to do something about it and this book run through how.
- Humane by Design – A resource that provides guidance for designing ethically humane digital products through patterns focused on user well-being.
- Your Undivided Attention – Co-hosts Tristan Harris and Aza Raskin explore the incredible power that technology has over our lives — and how we can use it to catalyze a humane future.
Let me know if you know any other resources you think should be on the list.
Other Link Collections
- Storytelling in marketing links – There are a collection of posts at the end of this page on telling better stories as a business.
- User retention reading list – I used to get asked how to learn more about user retention and what resources are available. So I put together a reading list around user retention
- Growing Tiny Businesses – This is a collection of different posts about the various aspect of growing small businesses I’ve written over the last few years.